As we told you in our post Weight Loss Resolution, Make it Work with Ephedrine, a lot of people have weight loss resolutions each year after the Festive Season and very few will keep them. Most of the time, the fat burning goals are totally forgotten in February and will come back at the end of the year: weight loss resolution or re-solution?
It doesn’t necessarily mean that 40% of Americans and Europeans who decide to get fit in the New Year are inconstant or that they don’t have enough willpower to succeed. To our point of view, many factors can explain the low rates of success: psychological, physiological, cultural, social, environmental factors are different parts of a complex puzzle and when combined together you see your own photo, fit or fat.
It’s the reason why writing this post has not been easy for us: we had a long discussion in the team because we didn’t know how to approach this weight loss resolution. As just said, there are so many influencing factors and so many individual considerations to be taken into account when trying to lose weight. No way to review all factors and to stick to a theoretical approach, it’s good to know but it doesn’t help in most cases: there are thousands of books that cover the topic but didn’t help readers to lose one single pound. How to be specific? How to be helpful, without being in touch individually as we did in the beginning of our website when we were supporting people through one to one relations?
After many discussions, here is what we decided and what you will get from us.
- We stick to our credo. Losing weight is very easy in theory: eat less, move more and get support. The real challenge is to turn theory into practice, not only at start but in the long run, hence the high rates of failure.
- We will give only a few recommendations for each of these three pillars of weight loss: nutrition, physical activity and personal support.
- We will do that just as we do everything in life: in an honest and humble way, because we know what we are talking about, we know that it’s so hard for some people and so easy for others, we don’t judge, some of us in the team have experienced weight loss plans several times; personally, despite an “iron willpower”, I went through so many attempts that I have now a lot of understanding and empathy for people who try to lose weight. On the other hand, I am very suspicious towards people who come and tell you that they have a magical plan to get you fit and to shred 30 pounds within 2 months.
- Finally it has worked for me, it has worked for many people around us before and after the creation of our website, it may also work for you. It depends on you.
- Our experience gives us a lot of confidence: when we will tell you about what we consider as Basics and Fundamentals in your weight loss plan, we mean it. Seriously. You could think “hey I already know that, do you really think that hearing it again will help me to lose weight?”. First, you think what you want 😉 We are here to help so if you come with a negative spirit, well, do us a favor, do yourself a favor: just leave this page and bye-bye 😉 We don’t have enough free time aside from our jobs and families to waste it with negative people. If you are still reading this, it means that you are a positive person 😉 thus we can try to clarify this point, “I already know that and it didn’t work…”. Here is how I try to explain it to friends: take the example of chess. There is in fact a very limited set of rules that you have to learn to play chess: pieces and movements. Very easy to learn, a child can do it, you just have to learn these rules and to follow them: a movement will be either authorized or forbidden. You can’t question that. Then with this limited set of rules you have an almost infinite number of possibilities: theory and practice will do the difference between success and failure, between a beginner and a Grandmaster. Well, the same applies to weight loss: there are some rules that you have to know and to follow. It may seem obvious for some of you, you already heard about it (eat less, move more and get support) but we will tell you in detail what we consider as being the basic rules in this weight loss game. In other words, you may have heard many things, too many things if fact, if you are still struggling to lose weight you have to ask yourself why all this information didn’t make you skinny…
- We will give you some guidance (based on our experience) to do these subtle changes that make the difference between success and failure in your weight loss resolution. Applied to our chess example, it could be a hint when you have so many possible moves and you have to select the right one, not the poor decision that will ruin your position and all future chances.
- For the persons who know us since a long time: these recommendations are not our “Road to Success” for weight loss. We will be available per email to answer some questions but we won’t do an individual support as we did previously, honestly it takes too much time so we won’t promise what we can’t deliver. Maybe for some persons only, if the team members and especially Ann, our dietician or Laurence, our endocrinologist, decide to do so.
- That’s it: no promises but honest recommendations, hoping that it will help as many as possible of you 🙂
Keep in touch for the next post about nutrition.