You know that losing weight depends on your food habits first, much more than on your physical activity. Our team of medical experts has written many posts about weight loss: it is a kind of heavy topic and it takes tons of efforts to lose a few pounds.
In this post I want to share with you some personal tips that have become a kind of health routine each summer.
First of all, I take the summer opportunity to change my food habits.
- I stop eating processed foods, at least as much as I can. I do the effort to walk and I buy fresh food, mainly fish, vegetables and fruits. Yes, even in holidays, at home or abroad like this year.
- But don’t ask me for diet recipes! Just do a search in Google with “summer vegetable recipes” and you will get About 32,900,000 results in 0.20 seconds 🙂
- I avoid eating hot. We have automn and winter for that. Get rid of these hot foods, let down meat for a while and eat delicious salads (cold rice salads for instance), tomatos, olives, cold fish like salmon or sardines that are full of omega 3, etc… By the way, find the right salad dressing! Or your efforts would mean nothing.
- I reduce alcohol. Very strict rule: no beer at all! And no strong alcohols either, like gin, whiskey or vodka. From time to time I indulge myself in drinking light wines that are good for health due to their antioxidants. This is maybe the only case I know where something good is not bad for your health!
- Last point: I drink a lot! Only water 😉
- I have to do raise the level because I run less in summer, not due to a lack of time but because of the hot weather. You know my opinion about this huge fake excuse not to run (or to exercise in general). Come on, you have time to eat (half an hour or even more, one hour), you have time to watch TV (60 minutes series or 90 minutes movies) and you can’t find 10 minutes for your health? Seriously…
- What I do is very easy: I have found a cool video on the web called “8 Minutes Abs” and I do it every other day! Short (8 minutes!), very effective, no cost, just a gym mat on the floor and I am full of energy the next day.
When I have more time I do a 20 minutes pilates: my personal trainer is a DVD that I have bought some years ago and I do my pilates in front of the TV, with the kids making fun of me – I don’t care 🙂
- Last but not least: swimming! It’s the right time and weather to do it! Either alone for intensive cardio sessions, or with the family for the fun and believe me, with two teens and one gremlin, you also burn a lot of calories 🙂
As you can see, these tips are common sense if your weight loss basics are good. It doesn’t mean that they are easy to apply: in many cases I see families in holidays who take the easy way to fast food restaurants even if they are abroad and I guess that parents want to please their children or they just want to go to known places – the famous Yellow M, you see what I mean?
This makes me think of the reaction of a friend of mine when I gave him my advice. He kept repeating: I know that, ok, tell me something I don’t know! etc… I got him with this argument: there is a big difference between knowing and doing! Ok, you know all these tips, well, just do it now! What are you waiting for? Action! At least start to adapt your food habits! He doesn’t visit us anymore 😉
Don’t be like him: if you really want to lose weight during summer, try these tips. You will be rewarded soon.
That’s all for now, I wish you a wonderful time for the last summer days, have a good time, relax and enjoy these good moments with your family and friends.